The Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem (SMOTJ)
Who We Are
Welcome to the Priory of Simon Peter, the Ottawa priory of the Knights Templar. Our official name is Ordo Supremus Militaris Templi Hierosolymitani (OSMTH), Latin for “The Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem”, and often shortened in English to the initials SMOTJ. The SMOTJ is a United Nations Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) registered in Geneva, Switzerland under Swiss Federal Registry Number CH-660.1.972.999-4.
There are more then 1700 groups in the world calling themselves ‘Templars’ or ‘Knights Templar’ which is a name they can freely use. However, it is important to note the OSMTH/SMOTJ is not associated with any of these and our Coat of Arms and Logos are protected by trademark registration.
We are a modern-day ecumenical Christian knighthood. There are Grand Priories in Europe, the USA and in Canada. The Grand Priory of Canada contains three priories, one in Windsor (Priory of the Ascension of Our Lord), one in Toronto (St James’ Priory) and one in Ottawa (Priory of Simon Peter). There is also a Commandery in Edmonton that operates under the supervision of St James’ Priory, and a Commandery in Halifax that operates under the supervision of the Priory of the Ascension of Our Lord, while each one grows to the size required to be an independent priory.
Our Order was founded on the principles first adopted by the original Templar Knights in the Year 1118 in their home in the Temple of Solomon in the Holy City of Jerusalem. In these modern times, we are international in nature with members from over 40 nations, ecumenical Christian in our religious beliefs welcoming Christian men and women on a basis of strict equality, having equal rights, opportunities and responsibilities. In the spirit of diversity and religious freedom, an “Order of Merit” is also offered as a form of membership to those of other faiths. We are focussed on matters of human rights, political and religious freedom, and humanitarian aid to the world’s less fortunate. We are officially recognized by the United Nations in Special Consultative Status and furnish official delegations to the United Nations in New York City, Vienna, and Geneva.
Like the Knights Templar of old, we operate as a modern-day worldwide network of educated professionals in such widely diverse disciplines as government officials, Members of the Diplomatic Corps, clergy, serving and retired members of Armed Forces and Police Forces, physicians and surgeons, engineers, historians, and humanitarian aid caregivers.
The Priory of Simon Peter’s visions and commitments are expressed through our:
- Christian Ethos, Spirituality and Chivalric Values
- Domestic Charity and International Humanitarian Aid
- Defence of Human Rights and respect for Human Diversity
- Interfaith Dialogue and Conciliation
The Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem (SMOTJ) reflects the chivalric and charitable traditions of the original Templars by its members applying themselves selflessly to Christian endeavours in order to defend and promote Christian ideals throughout the world.
- Provide humanitarian aid to Christians in particular and all people in need around the world, through physical, financial, and moral support.
- Continue programs that aid Christians around the world, especially in the Holy land.
- Promote a dialogue based on the principles of peace and justice amongst and between faiths of the Sons of Abraham and the other great religions of the world, to establish better understanding and greater tolerance.
- Mitigate human suffering by actively participating in activities associated with disaster relief, humanitarian aid, human rights, peace building and sustainable development, and respect of human diversity.
- Facilitate, mediate and advocate conflict-prevention and resolution by providing subject matter experts and supporting organisations in the fields of religious and international diplomacy.
The word, not the sword, is the weapon of the modern Templars. We use it to serve peace, to help the oppressed, to assist Brother and Sisters, to promote education, and to promote and propagate those values that represent the best of the Christian, humanistic and chivalrous traditions. But of course, action must follow smart words and based on this the Priory of Simon peter is involved in assisting:
- The Aphasia Center of Ottawa
- Hockey Knights in Canada
- Pearly Rideau Veterans’ Center; and
- Cornerstone Women’s Shelter, etc.